Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Journal time- Thoughts on recital and future plans

I was journaling the other night about how much fun I had at our piano recital. The parents loved it and only had good things to say about it. While there were great things about it, there are also things that I would like to keep in mind for the next recital.


Successes:

  • Most of the students had their songs memorized and performed flawlessly, probably 2/3s of them. 
  • Timing worked out great with having half of the students go first and the second half begin an hour later. It was nice to have the little ones all together in one recital, I think those parents have the patience for the beginner songs. 
  • Most of the families brought something to contribute for refreshments, which really worked out well! I always like having left over cupcakes :)
  • We used The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for the recital. I had permission from my bishop to use the chapel and it was really a perfect location for families and the students. I will most likely use the chapel again in the future. 
  • The students had plenty of time to prepare their recital songs and have them memorized in time. 
  • A parent commented that the level of difficulty in music seemed very appropriate for all the students, not crazy hard, but that they seemed to be challenged. 
Plans for future recitals:
  • I've thought about having a recital "theme" or something like that, so that all of the students have songs that center around something. It might make for a fun summer or fall recital? 
  • Some of the students were already sick of their songs by the time the recital came, have to figure out which students learn quickly enough to not have to start super early OR have them learn more challenging pieces. Finding the perfect song is always a challenge! 
  • Hire a photographer. I'd love to have a friend or something there to take pictures of each student and then give them all to me, this way parents aren't mobbing the front of the room with their cameras during the performance. WAAAAAY to many camera crazy people. I don't mind iPhones, but all the clicking of the other cameras was starting to drive me crazy. 
  • I'd like to prepare my own piece a little sooner, I was scrambling the last week to try to get mine ready and it just added to the stress of the recital. 
  • Have more helpers (siblings or friends) around to help me with clean up, handing out certificates, etc... this would be good, yes it would be good. 

All in all it was GREAT. I'm excited to improve future recitals. Here are a few pictures from the afternoon. 







No comments:

Post a Comment